17 March 2014

Happy St Patricks day

So today, the 17th of March is St Patrick's day, which is also Green day of the 40acts challenge, so I was inspired to write this random post !

A few random facts about the Saint:
 
Apparently St Patrick isn't Irish
Despite being the patron saint of Ireland, St Patrick was born in Britain around 385AD, to aristocratic parents Calpurnius and Conchessa.


Voices told him he could escape his captors
Six years into his captivity, St Patrick apparently heard a voice urging him to travel to a distant port where a ship would be waiting to take him back to Britain.
(so hearing voices can be a good thing too)

He gained his sainthood by becoming a missionary
Aged around 30, he was tasked with becoming a missionary and returned to Ireland, where he successfully converted many Celtic pagans to Christianity.

Surprisingly Green wasn't his colour
Like St Nicholas who is mistakenly associated with the colour red – and actually wore green – St Patrick dressed in blue vestments.

Now please do tell me if these facts are wrong, so I can go and tell the Independents on line news website.(lol I won't be doing that, but it's always good to know when you've gone wrong)

The challenge for today was to do something that will benefit the environment.
Some people have decided to pick up litter on the way to work, college etc. Some are starting compost bins and cycling to work.
My idea, although it's very uncreative, is to walk home from college today. This might take me a good 30 minutes which is twice the time it would take on the bus, but I get to bask in the scenery along the way and get my legs working.
lets pray it doesn't rain....

I know a few people are doing the challenge, so let me know what you've got planned ..^_^

It's not too late to join: http://www.40acts.org.uk/
 



                                                                x Stitched Roses x

No comments:

Post a Comment